Dear Valued Clients and Visitors: As our nation responds to COVID-19, our firm is taking precautionary measures by closely following and reinforcing the guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Our physical office is open on a intermittent basis. However, please be assured that we are open for business and ready to serve your needs.

If you have a tax problem or inquiry please call and if we are not in leave a message. A return phone call will be made within a short period of time. Now is the time to address your tax matter. We remain committed to our clients and colleagues through these unusual times. Please stay safe and healthy.

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC
Free Consultations Available
Toll Free 888-408-9486

Should you be considered an employee or contractor?

Tax season may have passed for this year, but it’s never too late to start thinking about next year. If you’re like most people, you probably prefer not to think about your taxes until you’re required. Yet, taxes are important, and this is especially true for independent contractors.

Sometimes it’s hard to know whether you’re an employee or an independent contractor. If you wonder if you’re self-employed, the IRS considers you an independent contractor if you have only have control over the process of your work but not the end result of the work itself. The IRS will likely consider you an employee of the company paying you if it dictates what work you do and how you do it.

What being an independent contractor means for your taxes

As an independent contractor, the IRS requires to you to file a Schedule C form to file your annual tax return. A Schedule C a form for self-employed individuals to report their income or losses for a certain year. Think of a Schedule C like a 1040 form that you may have previously filed as a traditional employee.

There are certain circumstances in which the IRS allows you to fill out a Schedule C-EZ instead of a regular Schedule C. You may fill out a Schedule C-EZ if you:

  • Had less than $5,000 in business expenses that year.
  • Your business posted a net profit.
  • Had no employees throughout the year.

There are more requirements for determining Schedule C-EZ eligibility, but these are a few that should make you wonder if you have eligibility. The Schedule C-EZ could simplify your tax filing process.

Clarify your employee status

While no one wants to think of doing their taxes, getting a head start can make the process easier by preparing you for what to expect. However, to properly file your taxes, you must establish which type of employee your employer should classify you as.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Quick Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC

Woodland Hills Office
21700 Oxnard Street
Suite 2060
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Woodland Hills Tax Law Office

Los Angeles Office
10100 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Map & Directions

Call Today