Dear Valued Clients and Visitors: As our nation responds to COVID-19, our firm is taking precautionary measures by closely following and reinforcing the guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Our physical office is open on a intermittent basis. However, please be assured that we are open for business and ready to serve your needs.

If you have a tax problem or inquiry please call and if we are not in leave a message. A return phone call will be made within a short period of time. Now is the time to address your tax matter. We remain committed to our clients and colleagues through these unusual times. Please stay safe and healthy.

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC
Free Consultations Available
Toll Free 888-408-9486

How to avoid reporting problems on your next return

With the 2018 tax season far away, it is easy to forget about what is necessary to process a proper return. It is akin to kids being on summer vacation and forgetting most of what they learned the previous year. But like children preparing for another school year, it is never too early to review tips for avoiding reporting problems.

This is especially important if you are realizing income from multiple sources, and taxes are not being taken out on a quarterly basis. The same applies if you may be losing money on investments or property. With that said, taxpayers should be wary of the following forms of income that should be reported. 

Non-salary income – Most people understand that income from w-2 employment must be reported (because their employer will detail how much they were paid), but income from “side-hustles” and other part-time pursuits must be reported. Depending on the type of income, it may be reported on a different form, but it must be reported nonetheless.

Tax exempt income – It may be counterintuitive, but income that is exempt from taxation must also be reported. So failing to report income from certain investments, payments from personal injury claims and certain benefits may lead to trouble.

Income from foreign property – Even if you have reported income and paid taxes on such income in a foreign country, you are required to report such income on your U.S. tax return. After all, you want to take advantage of all related expenses and depreciation that could save you money.

If you have additional questions about reporting income, an experienced tax attorney can advise you. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Quick Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC

Woodland Hills Office
21700 Oxnard Street
Suite 2060
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Woodland Hills Tax Law Office

Los Angeles Office
10100 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Map & Directions

Call Today