Dear Valued Clients and Visitors: As our nation responds to COVID-19, our firm is taking precautionary measures by closely following and reinforcing the guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Our physical office is open on a intermittent basis. However, please be assured that we are open for business and ready to serve your needs.

If you have a tax problem or inquiry please call and if we are not in leave a message. A return phone call will be made within a short period of time. Now is the time to address your tax matter. We remain committed to our clients and colleagues through these unusual times. Please stay safe and healthy.

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC
Free Consultations Available
Toll Free 888-408-9486

Can graduate students deduct moving expenses?

As we noted in our prior post, few people really think about their future tax bill in September. After all, there are more than six months before next year’s federal income tax filing deadline. Nevertheless, time doesn’t stop when it comes to finding and noting deductions.

As a matter of fact, there are a number of people who relocate in August; especially graduate students who move to take part in new employment in addition to duties to further their degrees. As such, it may be possible to deduct moving expenses incurred to further one’s educational pursuits.

IRS publications, you may be able to deduct reasonable moving expenses if your move satisfies three important criteria. This post will highlight them.

The move qualifies under the distance test – The new job must be at least 50 miles away from your previous home. If you did not have a previous job, the new employment must still be at least 50 miles away from your previous domicile.

The move closely relates to the start of work – Essentially, expenses incurred within one year from the date you start work at your new job may be deducted on your tax return.

The time test must be met – As a new employee, you must work at least 39 weeks within the first 12 months of relocating to your new residence. Indeed, there are exceptions to this rule to account for disability, involuntary separation or deaths of family members that prevent you from working during the 12 month period.

If you have additional questions regarding deductions, an experienced tax law attorney can help. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Quick Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC

Woodland Hills Office
21700 Oxnard Street
Suite 2060
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Woodland Hills Tax Law Office

Los Angeles Office
10100 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Map & Directions

Call Today