Dear Valued Clients and Visitors: As our nation responds to COVID-19, our firm is taking precautionary measures by closely following and reinforcing the guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Our physical office is open on a intermittent basis. However, please be assured that we are open for business and ready to serve your needs.

If you have a tax problem or inquiry please call and if we are not in leave a message. A return phone call will be made within a short period of time. Now is the time to address your tax matter. We remain committed to our clients and colleagues through these unusual times. Please stay safe and healthy.

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC
Free Consultations Available
Toll Free 888-408-9486

Where is your home...for tax purposes

California is a great place to live. Most people know this already given that they love the weather, the access to so many attractions, and the cost of living. However, the taxes can be high in the Golden State. Depending on your income, it could be more than 13 percent; and this is after federal taxes.

Because of this, there are many who, for tax purposes, may want to call California their second home; meaning that they want to be considered a resident of a different state so that they can avoid paying state income taxes. For example, if you are a resident of the state of Texas or South Dakota, you wouldn’t be worried about state income tax. 

However, where you are domiciled determines where you are subject to income taxes. And this can be determined in a number of ways, including:

Where you own property – If you own a home or business property in California, chances are that you may be considered a resident.

Where you spend a majority of time – If you reside inside the state for nine months or more on a regular basis, chances are that you will be considered a resident.

Where your children attend school – The same reasoning above applies, especially if they are not in college.

Keep in mind that according to taxing authorities, the burden is on the taxpayer to prove that they are not a resident for tax purposes. This means that you may need the services of an experienced tax attorney to defend your interests in the event your residency (and your tax liability) is questioned. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Quick Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC

Woodland Hills Office
21700 Oxnard Street
Suite 2060
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Woodland Hills Tax Law Office

Los Angeles Office
10100 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Map & Directions

Call Today