Dear Valued Clients and Visitors: As our nation responds to COVID-19, our firm is taking precautionary measures by closely following and reinforcing the guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Our physical office is open on a intermittent basis. However, please be assured that we are open for business and ready to serve your needs.

If you have a tax problem or inquiry please call and if we are not in leave a message. A return phone call will be made within a short period of time. Now is the time to address your tax matter. We remain committed to our clients and colleagues through these unusual times. Please stay safe and healthy.

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC
Free Consultations Available
Toll Free 888-408-9486

Could you owe Uncle Sam some of your derby winnings?

The Kentucky Derby is not just a spectacle of horse racing, it is an event where the who’s who of basically anything convene to see the first race in the coveted triple crown of horse racing. (For the uninitiated, the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes are the other two races).

If you were lucky (and fortunate) enough to pick the derby winner and take in big money, are you required to report your winnings? This post will explore the answer.

Indeed, there are certain situations where your gambling winnings may be deemed taxable income. Generally speaking, if your winnings are 300 times more than your original bet, you may have to complete a Form W-2G, an income form specifically for gambling winnings. 

If you bet and win at a casino, the establishment is required to get your Social Security number before paying out your winnings. After all, the casino or sportsbook is responsible for reporting the payout to the federal government. Some casinos may take Uncle Sam’s 25 cut right out of your winnings before you leave.

And it is not just gambling winnings that can be taxed. Win on a game show, and you have to pay taxes on the fair market value of your prize; whether it is a car, trip, furniture or other non-cash prize. Further, the full amount of your gambling winnings must be disclosed. It is commonly line 21 of your return, depending on which form you use.  

If you have additional questions about how to deal with taxes on gambling winnings, an experienced attorney can help. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Quick Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC

Woodland Hills Office
21700 Oxnard Street
Suite 2060
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Woodland Hills Tax Law Office

Los Angeles Office
10100 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Map & Directions

Call Today