Dear Valued Clients and Visitors: As our nation responds to COVID-19, our firm is taking precautionary measures by closely following and reinforcing the guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Our physical office is open on a intermittent basis. However, please be assured that we are open for business and ready to serve your needs.

If you have a tax problem or inquiry please call and if we are not in leave a message. A return phone call will be made within a short period of time. Now is the time to address your tax matter. We remain committed to our clients and colleagues through these unusual times. Please stay safe and healthy.

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC
Free Consultations Available
Toll Free 888-408-9486

How will Roth IRA contributions affect your tax return?

With the federal income tax filing deadline just less than two weeks away, finding tax breaks are critical in order to save money (and to avoid paying a bill to Uncle Sam). A number of our posts have focused on exemptions, but this time we will highlight the benefits of saving for retirement and how it can help you during tax time.

Even though it is April 2016, you still have time to contribute to retirement plans that will count against your 2015 income. This is largely because many employees (and executives) receive bonus compensation in March and April based on last year’s results. As such, federal law allows such contributions to be recorded so close to the filing deadline. 

If you’re wondering whether you should contribute to a Roth IRA or a traditional IRA, don’t despair over whether tax benefits apply, as both have their advantages. With a Roth IRA, you won’t enjoy immediate tax savings, but you won’t have taxes to pay once you take out the money.

Generally, if you are under the age of 50, you may contribute up to $5,500 to your Roth IRA. If you are older than 50, this amount goes up to $6,500. However, you must be mindful of the various limits for IRA contributions. Jointly filing married couples who make more than $193,000 may not receive credit for contributing. The same applies to single filers making more than $131,000.

If you have questions about your contributions and how it may affect your return, an experienced tax attorney can help. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Quick Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC

Woodland Hills Office
21700 Oxnard Street
Suite 2060
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Woodland Hills Tax Law Office

Los Angeles Office
10100 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Map & Directions

Call Today