Dear Valued Clients and Visitors: As our nation responds to COVID-19, our firm is taking precautionary measures by closely following and reinforcing the guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Our physical office is open on a intermittent basis. However, please be assured that we are open for business and ready to serve your needs.

If you have a tax problem or inquiry please call and if we are not in leave a message. A return phone call will be made within a short period of time. Now is the time to address your tax matter. We remain committed to our clients and colleagues through these unusual times. Please stay safe and healthy.

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC
Free Consultations Available
Toll Free 888-408-9486

Is Uncle Sam entitled to your gambling winnings?

Last week’s Powerball drawing made national headlines as the ultimate jackpot eclipsed $1 billion for the first time. While many people did not want to join in on the 1 in 292 million chance of getting all the numbers correct, scores of people bought tickets hoping to be lucky enough to score big.

Gambling is part of the fabric of America’s culture; so much so, that Uncle Sam is eligible to gain a cut of your winnings. Yes, it’s true. For recreational gamblers, there are requirements for reporting and withholding from winning bets. This post will highlight the basics. 

Essentially, if you win more than 300 times your original bet, the paying casino, race track or gambling establishment is required to obtain your Social Security number so that it may inform the IRS that you have come into some extra money. And if you want to leave the establishment with your money, it is also likely that the payer will reduce your jackpot by the 25 percent federal tax rate.

For example, if you put $1 into a video poker machine and happen to get a royal flush which pays $1500.00, the casino is obligated to take 25 percent off the top before you leave. Indeed, giving up 25 percent before you leave may seem like a bad deal, but you may recoup the amount you overpaid through other exemptions and credits that you apply through your tax return. In the meantime, getting $1,125.00 on a $1 bet is still pretty cool.

If you have additional questions about reporting gambling winnings, an experienced tax law attorney can help. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Quick Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC

Woodland Hills Office
21700 Oxnard Street
Suite 2060
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Woodland Hills Tax Law Office

Los Angeles Office
10100 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Map & Directions

Call Today