Dear Valued Clients and Visitors: As our nation responds to COVID-19, our firm is taking precautionary measures by closely following and reinforcing the guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Our physical office is open on a intermittent basis. However, please be assured that we are open for business and ready to serve your needs.

If you have a tax problem or inquiry please call and if we are not in leave a message. A return phone call will be made within a short period of time. Now is the time to address your tax matter. We remain committed to our clients and colleagues through these unusual times. Please stay safe and healthy.

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC
Free Consultations Available
Toll Free 888-408-9486

Don't forget about moving expenses

It may be unusual to think about taxes in August, since next year’s federal income tax deadline isn’t until April. However, there are a number of people who relocate in August; whether it is to go to a new school (i.e. college) or to start a new job. Regardless of what the reason is, it may be possible to deduct the expenses incurred when moving on one’s tax return.

According to IRS publications, you may be able to deduct reasonable moving expenses if you moved because of a change in your job; regardless of whether you started a new job or initiated a new business. Unfortunately, you may deduct any expenses for meals incurred during the move. However, other expenses may apply if you meet three important criteria. 

The move qualifies under the distance test – The new job or business must be at least 50 miles away from your previous home. If you did not have a previous job, the new employment must still be at least 50 miles away from your previous domicile.

The move closely relates to the start of work – Essentially, expenses incurred within one year from the date you start work at your new business or job may be deducted on your tax return.

The time test must be met – As a new employee, you must work at least 39 weeks within the first 12 months of relocating to your new residence. For those who are self employed, work must be made for 78 weeks within the first 24 months after a move in order for moving expenses to be deductible. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Send Us A Quick Message

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Robert T. Leonard, APC

Woodland Hills Office
21700 Oxnard Street
Suite 2060
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Woodland Hills Tax Law Office

Los Angeles Office
10100 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Toll Free: 888-408-9486
Phone: 818-224-7935
Fax: 818-587-3833
Map & Directions

Call Today